Navigation Mesh Plugin

Navigation Mesh Plugin

Postby Toro » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi everybody i have been working on navigation mesh generator plugin

What it does:

- generate a navigation mesh using one terrain page, discarding all the polygon with hight slope, it also discard all the cell that touch any entity
- let you manually create the mesh from scratch
- let you manually extend and edit the mesh
- optimize the mesh reducing the cell count to be used in the pathfing algorithm
- you can include the lib to use the pathfinding in your project

What it does not:

- support more than one terrain page
- Edition interface (it could REALLY use some interfaces)
- set weight or any specific property to the path cells (i think it wont be hard to implement but it need some interfaces to set the cell properties)

i have also modified the ogitor demo scene loader to create a simple demo using the generated navigation mesh
i have been working with the development branch

i know im not a great programmer and this tool need a lots of work but i hope it help someone

its compiled with VS2008 you can find the .sln in the navmesh folder

you can download the first version from here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4Y5ABY2Z

Sorry for my english
Last edited by Toro on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toro

Re: Navigation Mesh Plugin

Postby Shockeye » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:26 am

Sounds good!
Is it based on the Recast navigation system?

I look for to trying it out.

Toro wrote: generate a navigation mesh using one terrain page, discarding all the polygon with hight slope, it also discard all the cell that touch any entity

I guess that means terrain use only, though? (I'm mainly using indoor scenes at the moment)
Toro wrote:- Edition interface (it could REALLY use some interfaces)

What sort of editor interfaces do you need?
Shockeye
Ogitor Team

Postby Toro » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Shockeye wrote:Is it based on the Recast navigation system?

it is not based con recast, i wrote it from scratch based on a old game programmings gems article

Shockeye wrote:I guess that means terrain use only, though? (I'm mainly using indoor scenes at the moment)

the automatic generation only works for the terrain but you can manually generate the mesh by adding the triangles yourself, in the demo i have used a plane as a bridge to show this

the only problem right now is that the mesh use a simple and ugly quadtree and it gets the area from the terrain so you need a terrain page to set the area for the quadtree, this is one of the issues that can be solved with interfaces.

Shockeye wrote:What sort of editor interfaces do you need?

right now all the edition ( edit mesh vertex, add new cell, delete cel, etc.) are picked from the Ogitor object context menu, it will be nice to have the edition tools as the terrain have.

I set all the configuration needed by the automated mesh generation by the object properties in the ogitor menu, it will be nice to show a configuration message before it start the process.

and with some interface to set properties to each cell it will be easier to add property like weight to each pathfinding node
Toro

Postby Shockeye » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:19 am

Hi. I tried out the demo program - made the little dude walk over the bridge! :D

:?: Before I can try out the plugin I need to change the project include and lib directories to build on my set up. So what version of Ogitor are you targeting?
Shockeye
Ogitor Team

Postby Toro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 pm

I work with the dev version of ogitor

in the solution for the path I use OGITOR_SDK to set the paths for include and libs that you can set to build the plugin but to build the demo you will need to change the path
Toro

Postby spacegaier » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Just saw that thread now. Sound really great. Will need to allocate some time to test it. Hope to do that soon. Keep up the work!
spacegaier
Ogitor Team

Postby Toro » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:35 am

I have uploaded a new version

I have only fixed a few bugs but I have changed the demo scene to use ogitor ofs example with some modifications.
Toro

Postby spacegaier » Mon May 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Any news here? Any plans to release the code and e.g. upload it onto BitBucket?
spacegaier
Ogitor Team

Return to General Plugin Discussion